Ground Engineering is a fundamental component of all civil engineering projects and relates to the provision of complete solutions for ground-related infrastructure, ranging from ground investigation through laboratory testing, design of underground infrastructure and provision of specialist construction supervision.
Aurecon’s Ground Engineering competency brings together a group of professional services involved in defining and delivering the complete input to delivering underground infrastructure to form a single delivery portfolio. This process brings together the following groups of professionals:
- Geotechnical engineers
- Engineering geologists
- Rock engineers
- Tunnel engineers
- Materials and pavement engineers
- Laboratory services
- Civil structural engineers involved in designing of underground infrastructure
Aurecon has extensive technical consulting experience on a broad range of large national and international, multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects. On each project, we bring significant experience from project inception through to detailed design for clients around the world.
Aurecon’s Ground Engineering expertise covers all forms of ground engineering, including geotechnical engineering, engineering geology, geohydrology, rock engineering, marine engineering, materials and pavement design and specialisation in the subsurface infrastructure component of design and construction.
Our Ground Engineering competency cuts across various industries, of which the resources and transport industries defines the bulk of our involvement. Typical ground engineering products include shallow and deep foundations, excavation and slope stabilisation, tunnels, caverns, shafts, quarry design, borrow pit design, quays and berths, offshore foundation systems and others.
We have broad involvement at all levels of project delivery, ranging from conceptual stages to specialist supervision for construction. Ground Engineering professionals at Aurecon are highly qualified professionals (many of whom have studied up to PhD level), who at the same time are used to working in a multi-disciplinary project environment.
Our services typically include delivering:
- Desktop and feasibility studies, environmental impact statements and preliminary design reports
- Ground investigations and interpretations
- Geohydrological and contamination studies
- Design and specifications of all hard rock and soft ground tunnels using a variety of tunnelling methods
- Design and specification of ground retentions and support systems
- Design and specifications of ground treatment methods
- Design and specifications of secondary linings and waterproofing systems
- Slope stability and seismic assessments
- Design of immersed tube and jacked box tunnels
- Shallow and deep foundation design
- Instrumentation planning and implementation
- Prediction and assessment of ground movements and potential impacts on buildings and structures
- Haul road design
- Materials sourcing and development planning
- Laboratory testing, provision of field laboratories and sampling in the field
- Computer modelling using finite elements, finite difference or distinct element modelling in 2D and 3D
- Specialist construction supervision
Our global team of tunnel and geotechnical engineers service major projects with experienced teams of specialists located across our global network of offices.